Friday, August 13, 2010

Friday Hair Day vol. 2: John Cho

You may recognize this Korean American male from shows and films such as Harold & Kumar, Off Centre, Star Trek, American Pie, and many others. John Cho is not only a great actor, he also has great hair styles. I've been checking out his hair styles for awhile now and am currently aiming for his style.

The above image is my goal/current look I have. I simply love the look because of the texture on the top and keeping the back and sides short. Although my hair on the sides don't stick the scalp like the image, I have to keep it on the short side and push down the hair with product.  

This was my approach to achieving the look and what I told my stylist: 
1.) Cut the sides (left and right only) short but not too short that it looks like it was done by clippers
2.) Cut the lower back area closer than the above half of the head, this is sorta hard to explain but basically by doing this you add body and a more defined shape for the back. You can see from the picture that the back looks like a 45 degree angle cut but I tried this and my hair is too poofy and looked round so had to had the shape by hand.
3.) The top I kept the farther half much shorter than the front half, by doing this I could achieve that tidal wave look on the top (think of how a wooden sled looks on the side). If I kept the top at equal lengths all around it would be too hard to push down the back and keep the front up with product.

How I style it with product:
1.) Get a good amount of product and even it out on both hands
2.) I like to go "around the world" with the product to get an even coat on my hair
3.) Then I push my right hand towards the left and my left hand towards the right (it's important to push hard and deep towards the scalp since the hair is very resistant and to get the product deep into the hair)
4.) I usually get some more product to help back up the top, this time take one hand on push down from that swirl in the back of my head to achieve the tidal wave look
5.) Finally I pull up the top and separate it to add texture and push my sides down
6.) I finish by grabbing pieces of my sides and rolling them with two fingers to add texture to the sides. You see this is why you don't want the sides too short or else you won;t be able to add texture.

Well I hope this was helpful! I really like the look because when you don't wash your hair for a while the sides will not need too much attention to stay down (more on this next time), then you can just focus on the top and be out the door in no time. Also with the top length still there, you have other options to style it.

Here's some other photos of John Cho's hair that I like. Enjoy and have a wonderful day!

1 comment:

  1. hi, i wish you'd continue with this blog! i am a chinese american male who has no clue how to deal with my straight poofy/fro-like hair when it is cut short. i want to have mine like john cho's as well and i don't know how well i can pull that off since my hair sticks straight out

    ReplyDelete